SOLID WASTE COLLECTION PROGRAM
Borough Trash & Recycling Tonnage Trends
Municipal waste is collected by employees of the Borough of West Chester Department of Public Works. Municipal waste is collected one day per week in each of the four Borough quadrants -- Monday in the northwest, Tuesday in the Northeast, Wednesday in the Southeast and Thursday in the Southwest. Click here to view a map of the quadrants.
Refuse and recyclables must be placed at the curb or alley no later than 7:00 a.m. on the morning of collection and not earlier than 6:00 p.m. on the day preceding collection. Empty containers must be returned to the household by 12:00 midnight of the collection day.
Collection days that fall on holidays are made up on the following day (i.e., if your regular day is Monday, your trash will be picked up on Tuesday). The Borough observes the following holidays for trash collection purposes: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King's Birthday, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
TRASH CAN SPECIFICATIONS:
- No more than two (2) 35-gallon cans are permitted per each collection.
- Cans shall weigh no more than 60 pounds each.
- Cans shall have a tight fitting lid. (Hinged lids are acceptable, but do not tie loose lids to your cans.
- Cans shall be labeled with street address.
- Uncontained trash will not be collected.
TRASH BAG SPECIFICATIONS:
- No more than four (4) special Borough trash bags per collection.
- Bags shall weigh no more than 40 pounds each.
- Bags may be purchased at local retail outlets for $2.50 each.
- All bags shall be closed and secured at the top. Opened bags will not be collected.
- Uncontained trash will not be collected. Any loose trash that has a bag tied to it, or has the bag placed on top of the trash can will not be collected.
- During the week, Borough trash bags must be stored in extra trash cans, but bags must be placed next to and outside of, your two trash cans on collection.
BAG SALE LOCATIONS:
- Municipal Building - 401 East Gay Street
- Public Works Department - 205 Lacey Street
- Parkway Hardware, 929 S. High Street
- West Goshen Acme, 903 Paoli Pike
- Ace Hardware, 720 W. Strasburg Rd (Rt. 162)
- Brandywine Ace Hardware, 1150 Pocopson Rd.
- Webb's Jewelry Store, 117 W. Gay St
BULK ITEM COLLECTION:
A bulk item is a single item that cannot fit into a trash can or Borough bag or weighs more than 60 pounds, but can be handled by two men. Bulk items are collected the first full week of every month. You may place one (1) bulk item out with your regular trash.
Bulk trash collection takes place on the regular trash collection day for your zone during the first full week of each month. If the first of the month falls on a business day after a Monday, bulk collection will take place the following week. Each property is permitted to place one (1) bulk item (stove, sofa, mattress, rolled rug, etc.). No extra trash containers or bags may be set out for bulk collection during this week. This is also the only time when the Borough will collect automobile tires from residents -- but first please call our office (610 696-5282).
The following items are not considered bulk items: auto parts, batteries, tires, tree limbs, construction materials, demolition debris, items containing freon, refrigerants, such as, air conditioners and refrigerators, and items containing hazardous chemicals or gases, such as propane cylinders
Appliances that contain Freon (refrigerators, air conditioners and dehumidifiers) may be taken to the Public Works Department at 205 Lacey Street. Disposal of these appliances is permitted during regular business hours, Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM. There is a disposal fee of $35.00 for a refrigerator, $25.00 for an air conditioner. If transportation of the appliance is not convenient, the Public Works Department will pick it up curbside for a fee.
Any property that generates more than two (2) 35-gallon cans and four (4) Borough trash bags on a regular basis is required to engage a private waste collection hauler to assume waste and recycling collections.
For further information on the Borough's solid waste and recycling programs, please contact the Public Works Department 610-696-5282.