Health Coverage - Healthy Communities
November 1, 2015 through January 31, 2016.
High concentrations of people with no health coverage threaten the health systems everyone in our community
depends on. Having so many uninsured people in one place means more strain on health care providers. On the other hand, getting more people covered is a smart public health strategy.
This is why we here at the Borough of West Chester are providing this information for everyone in our community.
If you or your family is in need of health care you owe it to yourself and your loved ones to learn more regarding the options available to you.
The Affordable Care Act
The Affordable Care Act put in place comprehensive health insurance reforms that have improved access, affordability, and quality in health care for Americans. Learn about the law, how to get coverage, and how it has helped people across the country.
You can learn more about The Affordable Care Act here.
What is Open Enrollment?
The yearly period when people can enroll in a health insurance plan. For 2016 coverage, the Open Enrollment Period is November 1, 2015 – January 31, 2016. People may qualify for Special Enrollment Periods allowing them to enroll outside of Open Enrollment if they have certain life events, like getting married, having a baby, or losing other coverage.
You can apply for Medicaid or CHIP at any time of the year.
Important Dates for 2016 Enrollment?
- November 1, 2015: Open Enrollment started — first day you can enroll in a 2016 insurance plan through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Coverage can start as soon as January 1, 2016.
- December 15, 2015: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start January 1, 2016
- January 1, 2016: 2016 coverage starts for those who enroll or change plans by December 15.
- January 15, 2016: Last day to enroll in or change plans for new coverage to start February 1, 2016
- January 31, 2016: 2016 Open Enrollment ends. Enrollments or changes between January 16 and January 31 take effect March 1, 2016.
If you don’t enroll in a 2016 health insurance plan by January 31, 2016, you can’t enroll in a health insurance plan for 2016 unless you qualify for a Special Enrollment Period.
See if you qualify for savings right now
Before you apply, you can quickly see if you’ll qualify for savings based on your income. Most people who apply do qualify — this year, about 8 in 10 of the uninsured eligible for Marketplace coverage qualify for savings that lower the cost of their monthly premiums.
Medicaid & CHIP – apply any time
- There’s no limited enrollment period for Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). You can apply any time.